[Softdevice-devel] Re: Towards softdevice-0.1.1

Stefan Lucke stefan at lucke.in-berlin.de
Thu Apr 7 19:59:38 CEST 2005

On Donnerstag, 7. April 2005 17:46, Martin Wache wrote:
> Torgeir Veimo wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 11:04 +0200, Stefan Lucke wrote:
> >

> >>I get sometimes similar errors. I got them even in previous versions
> >>before
> >>I used the max available area. That happens when I had one or several
> >>browser
> >>windows of vdr-portal open. Closing them resolves the situation. It
> >>looks like
> >>card memory is used for caching of pixmaps and when the xv should be
> >>realized on
> >>screen, the xserver does not get enough contigues memory for that on
> >>the video
> >>card.
> For me this happens even when I only load gnome and vdr. I also tried
> the resolution 1280x768, which fails. I guess the XServer reporting that
> it is capable of doing 2048x2048 is just wrong.

One possibility. What card and what amount of memory does it have ?
Do you have dri/drm enabled ? If yes, please retry with dri/drm diabled.

> > We might to install a special X error handler. X errors can happen when
> > telling the screensaver to stay away as well. The one in xscreensaver.c
> > can be extended a bit to handle fallback on those errors.
> >

> I think this would be a good solution, we could fallback to the default
> resolution if there is not enough memory for HDTV. If there is not even
> enough for default resolution we can still give a meaningfull error message.

As you said XSync() spites out the error, this is very (too) late to take a
reasonable error action. The only one is to my opinion is: suspending
video-out.

So we need an OSD option XV max-area [YES|NO] default no. To take effect
restart vdr (immediate action would be something like suspend -> resume).

--
Stefan Lucke