[Mapnik-users] Non-standard maps: galaxies? hotels?

owntheweb owntheweb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 04:28:12 CET 2009

Howdy,
Forgive my ignorance. I'm new to mapnik but am fascinated by the beautiful
maps I'm seeing.

While digging into tools offered at mapbox.com, I'm hope to to build a
custom galaxy map based on the fictitious galaxy of EVE-online. It's odd
yes, but fun projects like this help make things fun for future drier
projects like exhibitors at a hotel ballroom.

Any thoughts on where to get started? Should I start with some normal local
maps and work my way into outer space? Can I work with my own vector files?
I do have access to data somewhere where I can generate fake coordinates for
everything, and could draw stuff pragmatically. No problem there, just not
sure where to start digging.

Super ugly rough I created of what I'm talking about:

http://old.nabble.com/file/p26805511/Picture2.png

Each dot has a name. They connect to neighboringish dots (jump gates) using
other data I can look up. It would be cool to show this galactic highway,
with some landmarks and such. :)

I appreciate any feedback/ideas you may have. Thanks much in advance!

EDIT: I found some great resources here regarding shapefiles and such:
http://trac.mapnik.org/wiki/LearningMapnik

Maybe it's good to start from the beginning! Any feedback/pointers are still
welcome.