[Mapnik-users] Output Format

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Sat Oct 18 05:09:45 CEST 2008

Jürgen,

I concur with Chris that it seems like you are mixing up what
TileCache is handling and what is possible with your custom python
scripts.

If you are using TileCache with a configuration to read from a mapnik
xml like:

[world]
type=Mapnik
mapfile=/path/to/mapfile.xml

Then, no, png256 support is not supported. Png256 ( or paletted 8-bit
png's) are also not yet supported in the mapnik OGCServer, but I agree
that they are the idea format to use since they look nearly the same
as 32 bit png at roughly half the size.

But if you are accessing mapnik natively via the python bindings then
yes, something like:

>> render_to_file(m, map_output,'png256')

should work great to create smaller png's.

You can also do render_to_file(m, map_output,'jpeg')

If you want to render with the Cairo backend then see some examples
here:
http://trac.mapnik.org/wiki/MapnikRenderers
http://mapnik-utils.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/tutorials/cairo_renderer/

Dane