[Mapnik-users] Mac OS python binding issue

Ken-ichi kenichi.ueda at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 01:16:26 CEST 2008

Thanks Chris.  Actually, I just fixed my own problem a few minutes ago
(at least under OS 10.4, macports boost 1.34.1)!  I think the problem
was not with how boost was linking against Python, but with how mapnik
was doing so.  Changing line 58 in bindings/python/SConscript of r697
from

linkflags = '-F/ -framework Python'

linkflags = '-lpython2.5'

cleared everything up.  I think this forces mapnik to link against the
first copy of libpython2.5.whatever it finds in your PATH (in my case,
it's /opt/local/lib/libpython2.5.dylib), but I don't really know.  ld
is black magic to me.  After making this change, I successfully ran
the demo and got some real pretty maps!  I'm not entirely sure how to
do this without hardcoding the decision between linking against a
framework and linking against a dynamic lib, or whether that decision
should even be made automatically (as opposed to a flag option for
scons), so I'll leave a patch (if there will be one) up to those who
know what they're doing.  For now, I suspect this should work for
people who run a non-framework version of Python like the MacPorts
one, and who are experiencing NoneType errors.

Thanks for your help, everyone!  I think this is the longest I've ever
spent trying to debug a build process.

-Ken-ichi