[Mapnik-users] mapnik on amd64

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Wed Mar 22 11:20:12 CET 2006

Hi,

first of all: compliments with mapnik, ik looks like a very nice, clean
and elegant alternative for mapserver, which we use till now. I'll keep
following mapnik development, and maybe I'll eventually switch...

Today I wanted to build and try mapnik, but I there are some problems to
install mapnik on an linux amd64 (gentoo) system.
I am using the svn checkout of yesterday, and python 2.4.

1: agg needs to be compiled with -fPIC otherwise you'll get a relocation
error when linking libmapnik on a AMD 64bit system

2: 64 bit python does not have dl. This is because "This module will not
work unless sizeof(int) == sizeof(long) == sizeof(char *) If this is not
the case, SystemError will be raised on import." (quote from
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-dl.html). On amd64, these sizes are not
equal. Any thoughts on a solution/workaround for this?

3: I tried to simply comment the first 4 lines of __init__.py because of
the dl problem, and then import mapnik gives this error:
>>> from mapnik import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/mapnik/__init__.py", line 28,
in ?
     from _mapnik import *
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libmapnik.so: undefined symbol:
_Z20jpeg_finish_compressP20jpeg_compress_struct

Is this because I commented the dl lines, or is this another problem? A
dll on libmapnik.so shows that all libraries are found by the dl.

NB there are no problems on my system with the boost libraries in
combination with gentoo/amd64, as someone said earlier on this list.
Everything compiles fine when the -fPIC CXXFLAG has been added to the
SConscript file in mapnik/agg.

Last question: I saw the docs directory is empty. Are there any api docs
(c++ of python) available, can they be built with scons?

Regards,
Vincent Schut.