[Mapnik-users] Re: [Mapnik-devel] New user.. some installation problems and a few questions

Artem Pavlenko artem at pavlenko.uklinux.net
Fri Mar 17 20:46:58 CET 2006

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for trying Mapnik.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mapnik/__init__.py", line 28, in ?
>     from _mapnik import *
> ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libmapnik.so: undefined symbol:
> _ZTIN5boost7archive6detail14basic_iarchiveE
>
> I'm using the 0.2.5a release BTW. Any ideas??

Looks very familiar.  I think Ubuntu for some reason using RC boost and
not an official release or some libraries just missing??? It'll be
easier to download boost _1_33_1 source and build fresh libs. Also
0.2.5a is quite old by now. Why don't you try latest svn trunk I'll be
happy to help?

> Now to my questions:
>
> 1) Are there any plans to create a WMS server based on mapnik? I'd
> imagine a twisted python implementation would be a good way to go. Any
> one working on this?

I thought exactly about this approach.  Mapnik + Twisted = WMS (or even
WFS one day). I think Jean Francois
is working on WMS implementation already,we should ask him. I don't
really know Twisted that well, but it sounds  very good.  Another
possible direction is to deploy Mapnik as a rendering engine for ka-map.

> 2) Any plans to incorporate a GDAL and OGR plugin for raster and
> vector data access? This would allow a huge number of supported
> formats without reinventing the wheel.

Yep, sure. Also, don't forget about FDO which might be a better solution
for data access in a long run.

Cheers,
Artem