[Mapnik-users] New user.. some installation problems and a few questions

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 20:07:19 CET 2006

hey folks,

 As a long time mapserver user I've gotten used to, shall we say,
barely acceptable map graphics so I was psyched to see the screenshots
of mapnik! Really great stuff.. now if only I could get it
installed....

I'm on Ubuntu 6.04 and got all the dependencies installed through
apt-get. One exception was the libboost_python libraries which, for
some reason ld was not picking up. I created a symbolic link from
/usr/lib/libboost_python-gcc-mt-1_33_1.so to
/usr/lib/libboost_python-gcc-mt.so and the build went smoothly, or so
I thought.

Importing the python module gives me the following errors:
>>> from mapnik import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mapnik/__init__.py", line 28, in ?
    from _mapnik import *
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libmapnik.so: undefined symbol:
_ZTIN5boost7archive6detail14basic_iarchiveE

I'm using the 0.2.5a release BTW. Any ideas??

Now to my questions:

1) Are there any plans to create a WMS server based on mapnik? I'd
imagine a twisted python implementation would be a good way to go. Any
one working on this?

2) Any plans to incorporate a GDAL and OGR plugin for raster and
vector data access? This would allow a huge number of supported
formats without reinventing the wheel.

--
Matt Perry
perrygeo at gmail.com