[Linux-uvc-devel] Looking for upside down uvc cams

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 09:51:53 CEST 2009

Hi all,

Short self intro: I've been a Linux developer for 10+ years now and lately
I'm working on improving support for webcams under Linux.

I'm looking for people who have a laptop with a build in uvc web camera which
is mounted upside down resulting in an upside down picture under Linux.

I'm the author of libv4l a userspace library for handling various v4l things in
userspace, which is used by most applications now a days (in a recent version
of an up2date distro such as ubuntu or Fedora).

libv4l has the ability to put the image the right way up in software, and
already does so for a few Philips camera's which are always upside down.

I'm working on adding a table to libv4l with upside down camera moules in
laptops, so that it can do the correction of the upside down image automatically.
For this table I need info about such laptops.

If you have such a laptop can you please mail the output of the following commands:
lsusb > lsusb.log
dmidecode > dmi.log

Note the last command must be executed as root. The DMI info is needed as the
same usb module may be mounted upside down in one laptop and the right way up
in another. The DMI info contains info like:

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 8 bytes
Base Board Information
         Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
         Product Name: M2N-SLI DELUXE
         Version: 1.XX
         Serial Number: 123456789000

Which allows libv4l to uniquely identify the laptop model.

Thanks & Regards,

Hans